Thanks to the wonderful invention of Gardein products, vegetarians and vegans can enjoy similar dishes as their meat eating friends without actually consuming any meat. It is now easier than ever to eat vegetarian. Gardein products help in the transition to meatless eating with their products of chicken, beef, wings, chicken fingers, skewers for grilling, pulled pork and many more.
So what is Gardein you ask? Gardein is a plant based protein product, hence the name “Gardein” (garden + protein) that was invented by Yves Potvin. It is made with a blend of soy, wheat, vegetables, grains and pea protein. It can be used as a meat substitute in any dish and actually tastes really good!
I buy the chick’n filets every so often and have served it in many different ways. Chef Tal Ronnen has quite a few of Gardein recipes in his cookbook, The Conscious Cook. My most recent meal containing Gardein used the chick’n filets as a simple compliment to a main pasta dish. I was wanting to add a little more protein to the meal so I served the lemon vegetable pasta with the Gardein product. It was delicious! While my pasta was finishing up, I simply placed the chick’n filets on a baking sheet in the oven, along with a few spices, and baked them for about 10 minutes. This was a very simple way of preparing the filets, but I have used them in stir frys, breaded and grilled them in a pan, and diced them up on salads. Anything you would normally do with a chicken breast, you can do with a Gardein Chick’n Filet.
1. Cook the pasta according to package.
2. While the pasta is cooking, sautee a mixture of your favorite vegetables in a little olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper.
3. Once the pasta and vegetables are almost through cooking, place the Chick’n Filets on a baking sheet, season as desired, and bake in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes.
3. Drain the pasta and add 2 Tbsp of lemon olive oil (I absolutely love this stuff) and the sauteed vegetables. Stir to combine and add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Remove Chick’n from oven and serve alongside the pasta.
This is such a simple, clean, and healthy meal. Yum! 🙂