Every year when New Year’s Eve rolls around, I make plans, like most people, and set out in the new year with new resolutions. Well, I have the habit of making birthday resolutions too. I look back on the past year of my life and think about what I have accomplished. I then make a list of my goals for myself during the upcoming year of my life. Sometimes I accomplish them, sometimes I don’t. Honestly, I thought I would be in a completely different place at 27-years-old than I am, but that’s life. Looking back at yesterday’s quote I began thinking about all of the things I wanted to do in life, but held myself back from due to fear, doubts, or insecurities. My biggest resolution for my 27th year is to never hold myself back and to never doubt my dreams, ambitions, or the person I am and want to be.
When looking back on my life there are certain things I wish I could go back and tell my younger self. If I had the chance, I would say:
1. Don’t sweat the small stuff….and most of the time it’s all small stuff. “That which matters the most should not give way to that which matters the least.”
2. Never take for granted the simple joys in life. You may have a destination in mind, but don’t forget to enjoy the journey.
3. Beauty is not a number on a scale and size doesn’t measure self worth.
4. Believe in the person you are and stay true to that person.
5. Everyone else is just as confused about life as you are. It may seem like they have their s*** together, but in reality everyone is insecure about going out into the world. You are not alone.
6. Don’t try to conform to who you think society wants you to be. Be confident and create your own path in life.
7. The most critical person of yourself is you. Lighten up.
8. Being a certain size, having money, or living in a certain place won’t make you happy. True happiness comes from within.
9. If you are in a tough place, know that it will pass, life will go on, and what may seem to matter now, really won’t down the road.
10. Dance, Live, Laugh, Love, Dream, Travel, Enjoy 🙂