What do you do when you have over-ripe bananas to use up, but you really want pumpkin? You make pumpkin banana bread! I mean, I love banana bread and I love pumpkin bread. Why not put them together to form a healthy, wholesome, delicious sweet bread??
The bread turned out amazing. Because you use a whole can of pumpkin and three very ripe bananas, you can actually cut way back on the fat and oil in the recipe and reduce the sugar. Plus the pumpkin and banana add so much moisture to the bread, there is no way this bread can turn out dry. It’s incredible and will surely satisfy your pumpkin bread and banana bread cravings.
Vegan Pumpkin Banana Bread
1 15 oz can pumpkin
3 very ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup canola oil
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (I was low on whole wheat so I used 1 1/2 cups whole wheat and 1/2 cup spelt flour)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1. Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and pumpkin pie spice. Set aside.
2. Mix together pumpkin, brown sugar, oil and vanilla until smooth.
3. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix just until all dry ingredients are incorporated. Do not over mix.
4. Fold in the bananas.
5. Spread mixture in loaf pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
6. Bake in 325F oven for about an hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Let cool, slice and enjoy!
This bread is packed with fiber, potassium, Vitamin A, and is low in fat. It doesn’t get any better than this.
Have a good weekend everyone! Happy Halloween! 🙂