Vegan or not-vegan, this stuff is soooo good. I really think this mac and cheese is better than most non-vegan types. It’s rich, creamy and cheesy. What else would you want from a mac and cheese?
Ever since we returned from Vegas I have been craving pasta and macaroni and cheese. I don’t know if it’s being tired still from the trip, the return to cold weather, or just wanting some good old comfort food, but I immediately knew my craving would be satisfied by this recipe. You can leave out the peas if you are not a fan, but I personally love peas with my mac n’ cheese. They add that little extra something that makes the dish pop. So if you have a hankering for some cheesy goodness, I recommend making this right away. No one will ever know it’s vegan!
Best Vegan Mac n’ Cheese (adapted from VegWeb)
*makes about 6 servings
1 bag brown rice shell-shaped pasta (or pasta of your choice)
1/2 package of Tofutti cream cheese
1 package Daiya chedder cheese
2 cups almond milk
1/4 cup Earth Balance butter
2 Tbsp tapioca starch
nutritional yeast to taste ( I used about 1/4 cup)
fresh ground pepper
1 cup fresh or frozen peas
*preheat oven to 375F
1. Boil pasta according to package.
2. While pasta is cooking, begin to make the cheese sauce. Melt the Earth Balance in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the tapioca starch and stir to combine.
3. Add Tofutti cream cheese and stir until melted. Add Daiya cheese and stir until it begins to melt.
4. Add almond milk and fresh ground pepper and continue to let simmer until a thick, creamy texture has formed and the cheese is completely melted.
5. Stir in nutritional yeast to your liking and add salt or pepper if needed. Simmer for a couple minutes.
6. Once pasta is done cooking, drain and add pasta to a casserole dish. Stir in peas and pour the cheese mixture over top. Fold cheese into pasta to evenly coat. Sprinkle the top with bread crumbs.
7. Bake in a 375F oven for 30 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Now serve it up with a side salad and enjoy the best mac n’ cheese ever!