Everyone loves graham crackers. You ate them as a kid, you eat them now. Topped with peanut butter, jam, honey, chocolate, marshmallow, or dipped in milk. However you like them, the graham cracker never disappoints. What would a camping trip be without them?
Yes, it is so easy to run and buy a box of Honey Maid grahams from the store, but it really is just as easy to make your own. Plus you can then control the ingredients and the amount of sugar. Whole wheat flour and honey give these grahams the nutty, sweet flavor you look for in your store bought box. I first saw a version of these on Ashley’s blog and also found something similar in my Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar cookbook. A little toying with the recipe and you get the recipe below! More varieties soon to come…
Vegan Graham Crackers
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup canola or safflower oil
1/4 cup honey
2 Tbsp molasses
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup nondairy milk
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
3. Make a well in the middle and pour in oil, molasses, and vanilla. Give the liquid ingredients a quick whisk with a fork and then continue mixing until everything is well combined and crumbly.
4. Drizzle in the nondairy milk and combine. Use your hands to knead the dough a few times until it holds together. Add an extra Tbsp of milk if needed.
5. Line a work surface with parchment paper. Place teh dough on the paper and work into a rectangle. Begin by flattening it with your hands and then dust a rolling pin with flour and roll out the dough into a rectangle that is about 1/8 inch thick. Edges do not need to be perfect because you will be trimming them off.
6. Cut rough edges so you are left with a nice looking rectangle. Then cut the dough into the size of cracker you want. Using a very thin spatula, gently transfer the crackers to the prepared baking sheet. Score each cracker with a fork for the graham cracker look. Repeat with remaining dough.
7. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until cracker is set and begins to brown. The longer you leave them cooking (14 mins) you will get a crisper cracker.
Now enjoy with a glass of milk or a melted marshmallow!