St. Patty’s Day is such a fun holiday. Everyone usually has their own traditions that go along with the day, but I think it’s safe to say that the day has become synonymous with bars, beer, crazy green attire, and good times. In college we were always on spring break during St. Patty’s day so another tradition was formed the week prior to the March 17th holiday. That tradition is known by Miamians as Green Beer Day (any Miami University goers out there?). A day where you wake up at 3am in order to be at a party or bar, green beer in hand, by 4am. Needless to say, it was a very long day, but oh so fun 🙂
Guinness Cupcakes with Bailey’s Irish Cream Frosting (makes 20-24 cupcakes)
(*Note: technically these are not completely vegan since I used Guinness and it’s not a vegan beer. Vegan stouts can be found with a little research, however)
1.5 cups soy or almond milk
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
2.25 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup Guinness, or stout beer of choice
1.25 cups organic cane sugar
2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
3 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350F and line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the almond milk and vinegar together. Let sit for a couple of minutes.
3. In another bowl, sift your dry ingredients and combine.
4. Add the Guinness, sugar, applesauce, and vanilla to the milk mixture. Beat until foamy.
5. Gradually add your dry ingredients to your wet, beating until well incorporated.
6. Fill your cupcake pans and bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool completely before frosting.
1/2 cup Earth Balance margarine
2 Tbsp Bailey’s Irish Cream liquor (not vegan either)
2-3 cups confectioners sugar
1. Beat the margarine until light and fluffy. About 5 minutes.
2. Add the Bailey’s and half of the confectioners sugar and beat until creamy.
3. Add the remaining sugar and continue to beat, adding sugar if needed to create desired consistency.
4. Spread onto cupcakes or fill a piping bag and have fun decorating!