That looks more like a celebration, doesn’t it?
I started this blog as a way to do something I really enjoy doing and find liberating – write. It was a way to put my thoughts, ramblings, and memories in one place. A space where I could hopefully share information with others on living healthily, my transition to vegan and then to vegetarian, and give people someone to relate to. Like most, I have struggled with the consistency of a healthy lifestyle, but I strive to find balance in this crazy, hectic world we live in.
The past two years have flown by. Thank you for reading what I write and I hope you have enjoyed following me along this journey as I try to pretend like I know what I’m doing during a time in my life when I feel like I’m supposed to know what I’m doing. Also known as my late 20’s.
I’ll continue writing if you continue reading. I promise to share recipes and life stories, but I don’t promise it will be clean. Life’s messy.
These cupcakes help.
Red Velvet Cupcakes (low-fat and vegan)
makes 12 cupcakes
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce (you can’t go wrong with Trader Joe’s, it’s phenomenal)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
red food coloring (use until you have your desired color)
1 1/4 cup flour (I used white whole wheat, but I’m still not entirely sure what that even is)
2/3 cup organic cane sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
2 Tbsp cocoa powder
1. Combine milk and vinegar in large bowl and set aside to curdle. (sounds gross, but go with me on this one)
2. Preheat oven to 350F and line cupcake pans with liners.
3. Add applesauce, vanilla extract, almond extract, food coloring to milk/vinegar mixture. Stir until combined.
4. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder together. Gradually add to wet ingredients and stir just until combined.
5. Fill each cupcake 2/3 full. Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 mins, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
6. Let cool and frost with cream cheese frosting (recipe below).
Cream Cheese Frosting (vegan)
1/4 cup vegan cream cheese, such as Tofutti
1/4 cup Earth Balance vegan margarine
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1. Cream the cream cheese and Earth Balance together. Gradually add powdered sugar, mixing well with each addition.
2. Add the vanilla and mix well. Adjust ingredients to taste.
3. Frost cooled cupcakes and devour.