Remember these from last year? I was definitely tempted to make them again for St. Patty’s Day this year. But I have a donut pan now.
So, naturally, these babies were born.
If we’re being honest, the line between cupcake and donut is pretty blurred. Really, this was just my justification to open a Guinness and eat cake for breakfast. My way of doing kegs and eggs, except with cake. On St. Patty’s Day, anything goes. Most people are drunk by breakfast.
Chocolate Stout Donuts
Makes 12 donuts
2 1/2 cups flour (I used white whole wheat)
1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup almond milk
1/2 cup dark beer (I chose Guinness)
2 Tbsp butter (or Earth Balance)
3 oz dark chocolate (I like using Lindt 70% cocao)
1. Preheat oven to 350F and lightly spray donut pan with non-stick spray.
2. Combine flours, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl combine eggs, vanilla and sugar. Beat until light and fluffy. Whisk in milk. Whisk in beer.
4. Gradually add flour mixture and stir just until dry ingredients are incorporated.
5. Melt chocolate and butter in 20 second increments in the microwave, stirring after each time until fully melted. Gently fold chocolate into donut batter until fully incorporated.
6. Spoon batter into donut wells. Be careful not to over fill or your donuts won’t have holes.
7. Bake for 5-7 minutes or until set. Let cool completely before frosting.
3.5 oz dark chocolate (again, I used Lindt 70%)
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 Tbsp whiskey of choice
Melt chocolate and coconut oil in 30 second increments in microwaveable bowl. Stir after each time until melted. Stir in whiskey. Dip donut tops into chocolate until each is evenly coated. Let chocolate set before storing.
That glaze has a kick! Grab a beer, or a green smoothie, and enjoy a happy St. Patty’s Day!