It was a big hat weekend. Anyone feeling the effects of one too many mint juleps and margaritas as they hang up their sombreros and derby hats? Let’s continue soaking up the effects of the weekend’s festivities with some good food, shall we?
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
2 Tablespoons of coconut flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 ounces 1/3 less fat cream cheese, cut into pieces
1 Tablespoon grated lime zest
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce (mashed banana works too)
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
1 large egg
1 Tablespoon milk (I used almond milk)
3 Tablespoon lime juice
1/2 cup pure cane organic sugar (large sugar crystals)
1-2 Tablespoons extra lime zest
1. Preheat oven to 350F and line baking sheets with parchment paper. Combine the cane sugar and lime zest in a bowl and set aside.
2. Combine granulated sugar, cream cheese, applesauce and coconut oil and beat with electric mixture until well combined. Add lime zest, egg, lime juice and milk and mix well.
3. Combine flours, coconut, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl. Gradually add dry ingredients to wet, stirring with a spoon to incorporate until all the dry ingredients are mixed in.
4. Scoop tablespoon size portions of dough and roll into balls. (if dough is too sticky to roll, refrigerate the dough for 15-30 minutes first) Roll the dough balls in the sugar/lime zest mixture and place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
5. Bake for 11-13 minutes, until cookies are set. Let cool and enjoy!