“Life is like an onion. You peel it off one layer at a time, and sometimes you weep.”
We are constantly being transformed in life as we continue to develop our identities. In this process, it is often necessary to shed the outer layer in order for our true selves to shine.
“Be not conformed to the world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.”
Now let’s transform zucchini. I warned you that you would be seeing a lot of the vegetable while it’s in season. If you are also a lover of zucchini, then head over to Basi Italia. I took advantage of restaurant week here and used it as an excuse to go to one of my favorite restaurants. However, I didn’t know what I was in for when ordering the zucchini salad. Be prepared to share because the mound they place in front of you is insane. It was almost enough for me to not want to look at zucchini anymore, but then I added chocolate to it…
Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
1-1 1/2 cup shredded zucchini (about one medium zucchini)
3/4 cup sunflower seed butter or almond butter
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 Tbsp almond meal
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup carob chips (optional)
Directions: Preheat oven to 375F
1. Using your food processor, shred your zucchini. You could also use a standard grater, but the processor is soooo much faster.
2. Here comes the fun part. Lay out some paper towels on your counter or table. Dump out the shredded zucchini onto them and place a few layers of paper towels on top. You need to press out as much of the water from the zucchini that you can. So press down and squeeze, replacing paper towels as needed.
3. The rest is easy peasy. In a large bowl whisk the two eggs, add all remaining ingredients, stirring until well combined.
4. Line your muffin tins with cupcake papers or spray with nonstick spray. Pour batter into muffin cups, filling 3/4 of the way.
5. Bake at 375F for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center. Let cool, remove and store in an air-tight container. These also freeze well.
Warning: Your house will smell amazing after baking these. Enjoy!